If you give up the print newsletter, do one of these things
- send it as plain text, and keep it very short.
- send a link to a Web site that has the content.
- send a link where you can download the file.
Please, please do not do either of these
- send the file by email.
- publish the file in a proprietary format; that is, a file encoded in a format that’s a trade secret and property of a company.
On that last point, two reasons
- you shouldn’t put the onus on your readers to buy software to read your newsletter.
- (more importantly) if the format is proprietary, there will come a day when you or some future reader will not be able to open that file.
In a nutshell, if you want to produce an electronic newsletter, make it plain text or a link to a PDF, which has recently become a non-proprietary (“open”) format. You’ll make your readers happier.