Universalist obituaries: a resource

Somehow I missed what seems to be a valuable project to transcribe the obituaries of ministers and notable laypersons from the Universalist Register.

A good selection of years are included from 1862 to 1882, but it’s far from complete, especially in the 1870s and after 1882. Do take a look.

While the likes of Hosea Ballou, Thomas Starr King and Edwin Hubble Chapin are included, far more interesting to me are remembrances like these:

Rev. Silas Russell, in East Dover, Me., May, 1860, aged 70 years. He was a very worthy, unassuming, and even retiring man-delighting most to preach in secluded places, where there was little pecuniary reward. His end was peace and joy.

If a gospel for the 100% becomes adulation for the 1% — read that as you will — then it’s good to restore hope for the other 99%

But how, I wonder, would one contribute to the work? It’s a project of the Unitarian Universalist Historical Society, so perhaps to contact the leadership of the Dictionary of Unitarian and Universalist Biography?

One Reply to “Universalist obituaries: a resource”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.